top of page


Illington is in the Parish of Wretham, with about 20 houses, a Church and around 1,250 acres of land. Peddars Way passes through Illington.


St Andrews Church is a small flint edifice, in the perpendicular and early English styles, consisting of chancel and nave, with a square tower containing three bells: there is an inscription to the memory of Sir John Churchman Knt. A new oak roof was placed on the nave in 1881, new floors put down and the walls plastered. When repairing the walls of the nave, broken pieces of an alabaster figure was found in the South-West side of the chancel arch, and two small windows were discovered, one on the North, the other on the South wall and an inscription on an outside stone on the South-West angle of the nave, under the water table.

No more services at Illington

The couple who have a local care for the church of St Andrew at Illington have reluctantly decided to cease the annual patronal festival service at the church every November.

The closed church is in the general care of the Norfolk Churches Trust but each November David and Jeya Wells have led a small party in cleaning the building and then arranging refreshments after the service.

But congregations have begun to dwindle and are largely made up of regular worshippers at Wretham, with little or no interest from Illington residents.

bottom of page